Monday, November 1, 2010

Author Interview: S. R. Claridge


I’d like to welcome to Plotting it Out romantic suspense novelist S. R. Claridge.

Congratulations on the release of No Easy Way! (Available now as an e-book, to be released in paperback February 2, 2011.) As you know, I loved reading it, and am impressed with how adroitly you handle an ensemble cast of highly diverse characters. How much character and plot detailing do you plan out before you begin writing a novel, or are you a “pantser”?
I am a Pantser in every sense of the word. I literally start a novel with nothing more than an idea and an opening paragraph. From there the characters and story come to life.

How and when do you write? Do you keep yourself on a schedule or do you work while the muse is with you?
Both. I write approximately 4 hours every day while the kids are at school… more if the muse is with me. There have been times in the evening when I have been on such a creative high that I’ve left my husband to feed the kids and I’ve rushed off to Starbucks to finish my brainstorm in peace and quiet.

Give us a line from No Easy Way that you personally love.
“Forgiveness is key, but protection is wise.”

Your book centers on secrets and indiscretions and how one woman must make a choice to protect her family or reveal secrets that may destroy them all. As the title says, there’s no easy way to handle this. Have you ever experienced anything like this yourself?
Unfortunately, yes. The good news is it didn’t result in people being murdered like in my book.

The theme of forgiveness runs through No Easy Way. Is forgiveness an important quality to you in your life?
Yes. VERY important. No one is perfect and it seems people today, particularly in marriage, have this unspoken expectation of perfection. Like we all get one shot and if you blow it, you’re gone. I believe relationships last because of forgiveness not because of perfection. Lord knows, I’ve had more than my share of mistakes in life, and been blessed with wonderful people who have forgiven me.

If you could step into the world of any novel or meet with any character, which/who would you choose?
I would step into Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series and hang with Stephanie, Lula, Morelli and Ranger for a day. Talk about humor and adventure rolled into one! It would be a very exciting day!

I know you like vodka martinis and Italian food, but what secret indulgence do you allow yourself? (i.e. you watch daytime drama, like to sing Karaoke, read bodice busters, etc.)
I’m laughing hard…can’t believe I’m about to admit this openly… but I dance. Not just you’re regular sort of dancing, but erotic, gyration sort of dancing. I totally get down and get jiggy with it! (but never in front of anyone else…not even my husband!)

What would your dream vacation be?
Italy… most definitely Italy.

Now that you're a published author, how has your outlook changed about your future? Do you feel more pressure, or more optimism? Or both?
Both. I feel very blessed to have a Publisher (and my publisher ROCKS!), but I also feel overwhelmed by the promotional aspects of a book release. I’m learning so much every day of the “how to’s” and “what not’s” of the industry.

What's up next for you and your writing?
I am currently working on a mystery/suspense novel that I hope to turn into a series of books. It is set in Chicago and centers around a young woman who discovers she comes from a powerful Mafia family. The more she learns of the past, the more the black and white lines of right and wrong blur into a gray shade of family loyalty.

Anything else you'd like to share with my blog readers?
Yes. Thank you for reading this interview and I hope you will read No Easy Way and give me your feedback. There is nothing more rewarding or more helpful for an author than to hear the opinions of their readers. Also, I want to thank Maureen for interviewing me and please watch for her upcoming interview on the topic of her novel, “What Would Nancy Do” on my website: www.authorsrclaridge.com

1 comment:

  1. Loved this interview, and appreciated how different the questions are.

    ReplyDelete