Thursday, August 26, 2010

Book Trailers

One of the marketing devices that seems to be quite popular is the book trailer.  Much like the movie trailers we love to watch before the feature starts, a book trailer can be an effective tool to tease a potential reader into wanting to read more. (If you've never seen a book trailer head on over to YouTube and type in "book trailer" in the search engine.  I've entered "cozy mystery book trailer" to get ideas for my own book.)

It's interesting how many different styles of book trailers there are.  Some utilize actors to create a scene from the book while others display a slide show of interesting photographs with an overlay of text describing the book, much like what you would read on the inside flap of a novel.  All trailers feature dramatic and interesting music to accompany what you see on the screen.

Doesn't seem too difficult does it?  I am working with a videographer to create a trailer for my cozy mystery.  We've been going over the various styles trying to decide which would suit my book the best.  I've discovered that it's more work than I thought it would be.  Just making a choice, deciding on what I think I like the best, is tougher that it looks.  What I thought would be a piece of cake is turning out to have my head spinning with ideas and possibilities.  And that's not a bad thing. 

I planning on finalizing some decisions in the next couple of days so I can get back and concentrate on my work in progress and the revisions on my last book.  And hopefully I'll be posting a trailer here before long!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I have never heard of book trailers until you mentioned it the other day. Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete