Friday, June 11, 2010

Print vs. E-Books

I've been mulling over the idea of self-publishing one of my novels as an e-book.  A friend gave me a story from the Wall Street Journal  that had some compelling arguments for going this way.  Getting into print via the normal/traditional routes is terribly difficult.  Here's a bit from the Journal's piece:

"Fueling the shift is the growing popularity of electronic books, which few people were willing to read even three years ago. Apple Inc.' s iPad and e-reading devices such as Amazon's Kindle have made buying and reading digital books easy. U.S. book sales fell 1.8% last year to $23.9 billion, but e-book sales tripled to $313 million, according to the Association of American Publishers. E-book sales could reach as high as 20% to 25% of the total book market by 2012, according to Mike Shatzkin, a publishing consultant, up from an estimated 5% to 10% today."  Vanity Press Goes Digital, Wall Street Journal, June 3, 2010

It's not what I would prefer, but on the other hand it's a way to get my books read and to reach some readers that might not want to fork out $10 for a paperback or $30 for a hardback.  If a reader can spend $2 and will read my book then that's a big incentive for me. 

The whole idea is very appealing, and certainly worth some consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment