Monday, April 4, 2011

I Hate Rewriting!

Okay, I really don't hate rewriting, it's just a pain to me. At least this time it is.

I'm currently writing a cozy mystery. In fact it's the second Maeve and Kate Mystery (after What Would Nancy Do?) and I made a major plot change in the book after writing one third of it. Most of the book I am keeping as is, but with this one change there is so much rewriting to do! Who knew that one small change would affect so much else in the narrative? Almost every other aspect of the book needs to be looked at and checked to see if it needs to be updated because of this one modification. Conversations, reactions, etc. all need to be re-read and then possibly re-written according to the new idea. Whew!

So I'm plodding along with it. It's frustrating because I want to get on with the story, not be stuck here fixing my mistake. It will make the book better, and more fun, and I'm not sure how I could have done things differently. This is part of the writing process. I tried something, and it seemed to be working okay and then it wasn't. Did some research; interviewed a couple of nurses and a doctor, and now here I am.

When it's all said and done I know I'm going to be extremely happy with how this book turned out. Then I can tackle the next hurdle with this book: A Title!

No comments:

Post a Comment