Monday, October 4, 2010

Order!

I like to read books/authors in the order they're written.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this.  Even if an author doesn't write a series, I still like to read the books in order.

Part of this is being able to see/read the evolution of the writer as they progress.  Usually you can feel when they find their voice and the story seems richer than the previous books.  I love that!  Having felt it in my own writing it's something to see it in someone else's.

In the case of a series, you can watch the development of the character in a fun way.  See them mature, grown and evolve as the series goes on.  As the author feels more at home in their own skin so do their characters. 

Just a fun little habbit.  Annoying when I accidentally pick up the second book and have to put it aside until I can get the first one.  I know, a little compulsive, but what can I say?   Anyone else out there like me?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maureen. No, I jump around in my reading too much to follow any one particular writer's journey, unless, of course, I'm so impressed that I search out more. Elizabeth Berg, Jodi Picoult, and Sue Monk Kidd have that affect on me, but I'll read them in any order.

    ReplyDelete